Re: PostgreSQL local connection is taking 4 seconds

We have made some progress. GSSAPI authentication method is taking time though we have not enabled the GSSAPI authentication method in postgres (but the connection request is spending some time there). We continue troubleshooting on why the GSSAPI authentication method is taking longer time. For now we have exported the following ENV and local connections are faster.

export PGGSSENCMODE="disable"

On Tue, Jan 2, 2024 at 9:57 PM Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thomas Kellerer <shammat@xxxxxxx> writes:
> pramod kg schrieb am 02.01.2024 um 14:58:
>> We have upgraded the OS from RHEL7 to RHEL8 in our testbed machines. After upgrading, PostgrSQL local connection is taking ~4 seconds (Both TLS and non TLS connection). Please advise on what to be verified? There is no change in postgresql.conf or pg_hba.conf.

> Did you enable log_hostname?
> That does a revers DNS lookup which could be a reason for the connection suddenly taking longer.

Even without log_hostname, it could be a slow-DNS-lookup problem.

Rather than guessing, though, it might be time to try strace'ing
the psql session to see what it's waiting for.

                        regards, tom lane