Re: fails to start - pg_stat_tmp ?

On 10/11/2023 13:20, Laurenz Albe wrote:
On Fri, 2023-11-10 at 11:33 +0100, lejeczek wrote:
I have simple cluster managed by a popular toolset, I believe, and I get a standby/slave node which
after it was shutdown, rebooted, is unable to start, not by the that cluster-manager nor manually.
Thatks for telling us all the detail...

  FATAL:  could not open directory "/var/run/postgresql/14-paf.pg_stat_tmp": No such file or directory
  LOG:  startup process (PID 54860) exited with exit code 1

Indeed that dir, that path does not exist on the node - from what I can see, among the nodes
comprising the cluster this path exists only on the _master_ node.
Looks like somebody randomly deleted directories on that machine.

Create it again, and make sure it belongs to the postgres user and
nobody else has write access.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Indeed something removes at/after reboot the path, last bit of with stats - I started fiddling with _systemd_ tmpfiles which I thought was the culprit but it seems systemd neither creates nor cleans it. I also have bucardo - cleaned it up, did not help nor after I completely removed bucardo pg_ctlcluster start - does work, with this wrapper path gets created and server starts
OS journal boot logs do not mention this path neither.
It's a true sticky-wicket for me right now - to add, other two virtually identical nodes seem free from this issue.