Re: analyze foreign tables

Laurenz,

That's great news.  Now if only transparent data encryption also arrives in PostgreSQL 16, it will be a time for celebration.

rik.

On Thu, Aug 3, 2023 at 8:37 AM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2023-08-01 at 09:47 -0400, richard coleman wrote:
> In PostgreSQL foreign tables are not automatically analyzed and analyze must be
> specifically called on each table.  In the case of sharing tables between PostgreSQL
> clusters, there is the use_remote_estimate foreign server option.
>
> In some of our multi terabyte databases, manually running analyze on all of the
> foreign tables can take more than a day.  This is per database containing the
> foreign schema.  Since we have certain large schema that we have centrally located
> and share to all of our other database clusters, this really adds up.

I just saw that PostgreSQL v16 uses remote sampling for ANALYZE on foreign tables.
This is governed by the option "analyze_sampling" on the foreign table or the foreign
server, and the default value "auto" should be just what you need.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe