Re: analyze foreign tables

Laurenz,

Since my ability to program in C is basically non-existent, there's no danger of me writing custom PostgreSQL C code anytime soon.

Maybe someday when I retire I'll take up C coding to keep my mind nimble.

So increasing parallelization it is.

Thanks again,
rik.

On Tue, Aug 1, 2023 at 3:15 PM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2023-08-01 at 12:36 -0400, richard coleman wrote:
> Would it be possible to transfer table statistics between the same version
> of PostgreSQL, ex: source is pg15, target is pg15?

There is no support for that.

If you know what you are doing, you might be able to mess with the catalog tables,
but you would probably need server C code for that, since you cannot normally
write to an "anyarray".

I wouldn't recommend to go that way.

> Otherwise, anything that can be done to speed this up would be very helpful.

Run the ANALYZE in many parallel sessions.  I cannot think of anything smarter.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe