Re: SQL is fetching results BLANK checks but the data has no BLANKS

Data in the database is uploaded using python.

I have tried to test the same results by creating  a sample table where I inserted some sample data. In my sample test, I do not see any discrepancies.

From: M Sarwar <sarwarmd02@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 5, 2023 5:01 PM
To: pgsql-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <pgsql-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: SQL is fetching results BLANK checks but the data has no BLANKS

SELECT TEST_NUMBER
FROM BRONX.TEST_TEST_DETAILS_ALL_MCM
WHERE LEFT(TEST_DESCRIPTION, 1)  =  ' '

;

The above SQL is fetching lot of data but when I take closer look at the data in the table TEST_TEST_DETAILS_ALL_MCM, I see no prefixed BLANKS in the column TEST_DESCRIPTION.

   test_description character varying(50) COLLATE pg_catalog."default",   -- TEST_DESCRIPTION, type

What could be the reason here for fetching the data when I do not have the data which has prefixes of BLANK , ‘ ‘.

Thanks,

Sarwar

Phasing 90 degrees temperature  Fahrenheat in EST today