Re: Question about wal_compression and what to expect

With archive_timeout set I think WAL files will often (at least in my case) be created before they are filled, and in those cases there should be a larger benefit, correct?

Thanks

On June 21, 2023, Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jun 21, 2023, at 7:51 AM, Sean O'Grady <sean@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, my question was essentially do I need to separately compress WAL files for storage/archiving even with wal_compression set. So, I think you've answered my question.

If WAL files use per-page compression internally, you won't get much benefit from compressing them. If they use lz4 internally, then sure, bzip'ing them will get a little benefit, but nowhere near the normal amount.