Re: how do I capture conflicting rows

On 2023-May-15, Nikhil Ingale wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> The following query inserts the rows by ignoring the rows that has
> conflicts.
>
> INSERT INTO test (id,name,age,branch) SELECT * FROM student ON CONFLICT DO
> NOTHING;
>
> How do I capture the conflicting records to a file while non conflicting
> records are inserted to the table?

It sounds like you want a new feature:

INSERT INTO test (...) SELECT * FROM student
  ON CONFLICT EXECUTE FUNCTION do_your_stuff(excluded);

Sounds like it could be useful, but somebody would have to design it
fully and implement it.

Or maybe just

INSERT INTO test (...) SELECT * FROM student
  ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING RETURNING excluded.*;

"Now I have my system running, not a byte was off the shelf;
It rarely breaks and when it does I fix the code myself.
It's stable, clean and elegant, and lightning fast as well,
And it doesn't cost a nickel, so Bill Gates can go to hell."