Re: Question about pg_wal.tar.gz generated by pg_basebackup

On 5/10/23 03:41, Dhirendra Singh wrote:
Hi All,
I am taking backup using pg_basebackup for the purpose of point in time recovery in case something goes wrong with the data. The backup generates pg_wal.tar.gz which contains the wal file generated during the backup.
Is it of any use in the point in time recovery? do i have to archive it?
According to the documentation, any wal files in pg_wal directory has to be deleted after the base backup is restored and before the recovery starts. So if i understand it correctly, pg_wal.tar.gz is not required for point in time recovery...but just want to confirm if my understanding is correct.

My sole purpose of taking the backup is for point in time recovery. I am not going to use it to create a standby server.

Use a dedicated tool instead of writing your own.  I like PgBackRest, but there are others.

--
Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia.