Re: pg_dump why no indicator of completion

This has been a very entertaining thread to read through. Thankyou.

> I will admit that I haven't tried writing custom binary outputs yet, typically using either the builtin custom format or directory format.

If you really are working with Muli-TB databases (kinda hard to believe in the first place, doing a backup that takes many hours with pg_dump will cause your WAL folder to fill up), then its time to learn some more mature tools.

pg-dump made sense maybe a decade ago. As recommended above, nowadays people use *pgbackrest* and *pgbarman*.

> Since multiple pg_dump commands are often run at the same command prompt, and they can take hours, if not days to run,
> and there are a myriad of  other commands the will be run in the interim, any exit code generated by pg_dump with be lost
>  in the flotsam and jetsam of the multitude of exit codes created by every other command run between the calling of pg_dump
>  and it's eventual termination. It could have completed successfully, crashed, been killed, etc.

Your workflow sounds completely mystifying.

> then I am going to be forced to create a wrapper to capture and emit the status around the pg_dump executable.
> If I need to do that, so will every other user who needs to know the exit status and runs pg_dump in a typical linux
> workflow.

I'm sorry, but If putting your multi terabyte backup process into a 3 line script that checks the output and maybe emailing
you or just appending to the logfile seems like a crazy idea, you're going to be completely floored once you learn a few extra basic scripting
patterns in the world of Linux.

You're basically saying you're entirely constrained to triggering processes from the terminal by hand (please use a cronjob) and due to that insurmountable limitation, you also wont learn how an && works.

> Seems like a terrible waste having untold numbers of users having to constantly reinvent the wheel.

You might be overstating things a bit