Re: PostgreSQL equivalents to dbms_metadata.get_ddl & dbms_metadata.get_dependent_ddl

Well, there are system funcs and such too, check out https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/functions-info.html.
See Table 9.71. System Catalog Information Functions

pg_get_constraintdef()
pg_get_functiondef()
pg_get_indexdef()
pg_get_triggerdef()
pg_get_viewdef()

Regards,
Michael Vitale

richard coleman wrote on 3/20/2023 9:59 AM:
Ed,

Actually that's where I started.  Most of the answers on StackOverflow either don't work on the latest versions of PostgreSQL or didn't include the complete DDL.  Most were missing indices and constraints.  As a previous poster remarked, psql -E and then copy/pasting and using that as the basis for custom function(s) seems to be my only path forward.

It's a shame that users are basically forced to write not entirely simplistic SQL themselves.  The SQL appears to already exist in PostgreSQL as evidenced by the results of psql -E, it just doesn't seem that it was packaged into user accessible SQL functions.  I've noticed that the answer to many questions seem to be "use this psql \ command".  Is there any reason that all of the special psql magic functions couldn't be exposed as default SQL functions?

Oh, well.  Thanks for all the help.
rik.