Re: backup to partitioned table

Scott,

Thank you very much for your comment, apply your recommendation and solve my problem.
Thank you very much, it was exactly what I needed.
Cheers

Thanks

Erik Serrano

El mié, 16 nov 2022 a las 13:06, Scott Ribe (<scott_ribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>) escribió:
> On Nov 16, 2022, at 8:56 AM, Erik Serrano <eserranos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello Guys,
> I have a case that I would like you to help me with.
>
> I have a partitioned table in postgresql version 9,5 to which I select and it returns data perfectly, but when I want to make a backup of the table, it only saves the structure without records.
> It should be noted that I am not making a backup of the structure, but of the data or complete, but it does not back up the data anyway.
> When consulting the administrator, he informs me that it is a partitioned table and that it is always zero, but the data is in its "daughter" tables and that the select that it returns is the information that is housed in all its daughter tables.
>
> Now, given this, I wanted to know if there is any way to make a backup of the table that throws all the data from its child tables into a flat file.
>
> Is it possible to perform this action?
> From already thank you very much

You have to dump all the child tables; usually partitions are named reasonably such that a wildcard can do it:

pg_dump -t root_table_name\* > backup.sql

You don't exactly get a "flat" backup, as all the individual tables are included, but you do get it all into one file, if that's good enough for you.