Re: Allowing users to create objects in version controlled schema

> On 08/11/2022 02:19 CET Wells Oliver <wells.oliver@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Feels like more of a process question and less of a technical postgres
> question.

You're right.  But I'm wondering what's possible on the technical front.

> In our world, each DB user has their own schema they have full access to, and
> can grant privileges as required.

Right, the standard approach with search_path = "$user".

> All schema definitions tables/views/etc are versioned using git in a structured
> repository of flat sql files. It works well. Table defs etc get code reviewed
> and deployed by more DB-minded engineers,

That's what I meant with version controlled migrations.  And I actually don't
want users to bypass that process to create and reference their own database
structures when those structures should rather be part of the common application
schema.

> and people are cognizant of writing optimized SQL.

That's where I have my doubts when it comes to inexperienced "devs" and no
guiding code reviews.

--
Erik