Re: [External] Re: WAL Replication query

On Tue, Nov 1, 2022 at 7:26 PM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2022-11-01 at 08:49 -0500, Ron wrote:
> Primary has crashed, according to OP; it's not coming back any time soon.  And thus you promote
> Secondary to be New Primary, and go about  your work.  When the Old Primary comes back up
> (hours or days later), you do a pg_basebackup to make it the New Secondary.

There was no word about failover or "not coming back any time soon" (that's why I asked for
clarification in my answer).  In fact, PostgreSQL will often undergo crash recovery and come
back up automatically.  See the parameter "restart_after_crash", which defaults to "on".

Sorry,  It was my mistake not to mention the failover to the Standby required.

  I  mean when the Primary Server crashes due to a H/W failure or whatever other reason,  Then   in my case  I am forced to  promote the Standby server as  Primary until the   old  primary  server H/W vendor replaces the hardware component( it may vary from hours to days as pre SLA  terms with H/W vendor).

In this scenario  any transactions happened in  crashed Primary server which were not transferred due to the delay in transfer to the Standby server.  But   I am in need to promote the Standby to Primary and  it will run for another one day or two, until my  Old crashed server failed component is replaced with a new H/W part.

So there will be an inconsistency in the data  between the current  Primary  ( promoted standby)  and my recovered /repaired old server ( which was primary before the crash).

   How to handle this data inconsistency or what best mechanism needs to be implemented if you were me in this  use case scenario?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe