Re: Database schema changes tools

I love flyway as opposed to other tools like db-migrate which provide no guarantees, do not enforce order, allow history to be changed, and provides the ability to easily see what migrations have been applied and which are pending.

As for many complaints about the tool from a previous reply, I see them as features (naming restrictions) or there is a readily available solution and good documentation (target var / option flag to migrate up or down to a specific version).

Flyway is probably the easiest solution to implement in a CI/CD pipeline (official docker image available) at this point and can easily be worked into a docker-compose file to support local development and testing.

Generally, I pair this with a linter SQLFluff, anti-pattern checker like sql-check and a custom lint program I wrote to fail the pipeline fast if migrations are added to do certain things as I do not run flyway as an admin.

That being said, what I don't like about flyway is the (Redgate) price tag or needing to manually handle rollbacks by renaming a rollback migration if you want to use the free version.

For that reason alone, I may look into some of the other tools mentioned with flyway being a baseline of what I want in a migration tool.

Best regards,

Dan Smith