Re: WAL storage when archive_command=''

On Friday, September 9, 2022, Victor Sudakov <vas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I just want to make sure that unarchived WAL files are never ever
deleted and there is no limit on the number or size of unarchived WAL files.

The docs clearly answer this IMO:

If archive_command is an empty string (the default) while archive_mode is enabled, WAL archiving is temporarily disabled, but the server continues to accumulate WAL segment files in the expectation that a command will soon be provided.

Though I suppose I would argue to either remove the word temporarily or describe under what conditions, besides putting in a non-empty string, would re-enable it.  Additionally, change disabled to suspended since that doesn’t contravene the behavior of an enabled archive mode to never remove WAL without a successful execution of a non-empty archive_command.

David J.