RE: [EXT] Re: Improve "select count(*)" query - takes more than 30 mins for some large tables

Hello,

Do a count on the primary key.  Will force index access and you don’t access the entire row which may be very long.

LIKE : select count(ID) from my_table;

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2022 11:58 AM
To: MichaelDBA Vitale <michaeldba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: pgsql-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EXT] Re: Improve "select count(*)" query - takes more than 30 mins for some large tables

What's wrong with parallelism? That's why it was invented. If you really need an accurate count at moment's notice, create a trigger to maintain it.

Regards

On Tue, Jul 12, 2022, 10:31 AM MichaelDBA Vitale <michaeldba@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Perhaps do an analyze on the table and then select reltuples from pg_class for that table.  Might be faster than the select count(*).

Regards,

Michael Vitale