Re: The trap when using pg_dumpall

> On Jul 4, 2021, at 2:04 AM, Dean Gibson (DB Administrator) <postgresql@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Well, I never store the

Well, as long as we’re stating I never’s — let me state mine; I never consider a logical backup (pg_dump) a proper backup.  They have their use cases and are a very useful tool; however, I would considered a production database without a physical backup as not being backed up.  Logical backups don’t allow for PITR recovery and are very slow in comparison.  I only use logical backups for migrations, etc.  - more as a tool rather than a backup strategy.

A good practice would be to have a separate instance that can instantiate a point in time recovery.  This would allow for the reviewing/exporting required data needed to resolve a given issue.