Using pg_upgrade to change from 32 to 64 bit.

Hi, we've been using 32 bit PostgreSQL 9.5 on Windows and are seeing how we could upgrade to v13 64 bit.

As far as I can see from the documentation and other discussion on the Internet, the only way to do this is to do a pg_dump and pg_restore, which could take a while with a large database.

Just "for kicks" I decided to try to use pg_upgrade to do it (on a test database).  The documentation seems to suggest that it won't work

"pg_upgrade does its best to make sure the old and new clusters are binary-compatible, e.g., by checking for compatible compile-time settings, *including 32/64-bit binaries*."

To my surprise, it seemed to work absolutely fine. I can start the new 64 bit cluster, and a quick check shows everything working OK.

Is this to be expected? Was it a fluke? I'd expect it to refuse to work rather than claim to work and give me a broken database.

--
Paul
Paul Smith Computer Services

--