Re: User has role, role has UPDATE, user can't update, cannot figure this out.

That's it exactly. That's incredible, so basic, and I never knew you needed SELECT to make qualified UPDATES.

Thanks Stpehen.

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 2:08 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Greetings,

* Wells Oliver (wells.oliver@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> It seems very straight forward, but I have a user belongs to the role
> analyst, and the role analyst has the permission to UPDATE, e.g..
>
> GRANT REFERENCES, UPDATE ON TABLE myschema.mytable TO analyst;
>
> But the user gets a permission denied error on the table for a simple
> UPDATE query. I can't figure it out: no trigger functions. A few FKs, but
> nothing complex. Is there a way to figure out why this user is being denied
> permission?

Is there a WHERE clause for the UPDATE?  If so, then the role also needs
SELECT rights.

Thanks,

Stephen

--