--locale options not honoured?

FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p3
postgresql13-server-13.1_1

I am try to create a new pg database with --locale=en_US.UTF8.  However initdb
does not seem to actually carry out the instructions.  I have tried this with
and without the --lc-collate and lc-ctype options. The result is the same.

sudo -u postgres initdb --locale=en_US.UTF-8 --lc-collate=en_US.UTF-8
--lc-ctype=en_US.UTF-8 -D /var/db/postgres/data13
could not change directory to "/root": Permission denied
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale "en_US.UTF-8".
The default database encoding has accordingly been set to "UTF8".
The default text search configuration will be set to "english".

Data page checksums are disabled.

creating directory /var/db/postgres/data13 ... ok
creating subdirectories ... ok
selecting dynamic shared memory implementation ... posix
selecting default max_connections ... 100
selecting default shared_buffers ... 128MB
selecting default time zone ... Canada/Eastern
creating configuration files ... ok
running bootstrap script ... ok
performing post-bootstrap initialization ... ok
syncing data to disk ... ok

psql -U postgres template1
psql (13.1)
Type "help" for help.

template1=# \l
                             List of databases
   Name    |  Owner   | Encoding | Collate | Ctype |   Access privileges
-----------+----------+----------+---------+-------+-----------------------
 postgres  | postgres | UTF8     | C       | C     |
 template0 | postgres | UTF8     | C       | C     | =c/postgres          +
           |          |          |         |       | postgres=CTc/postgres
 template1 | postgres | UTF8     | C       | C     | =c/postgres          +
           |          |          |         |       | postgres=CTc/postgres
(3 rows)

On another (9.6) host I see this:

template1=# \l
                                             List of databases
        Name         |         Owner         | Encoding |   Collate   |
Ctype    |   Access privileges
---------------------+-----------------------+----------+-------------+-------------+-----------------------

  postgres            | postgres             | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 |
en_US.UTF-8 |
  template0           | postgres             | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 |
en_US.UTF-8 | =c/postgres          +
                     |                       |          |             |
    | postgres=CTc/postgres
 template1           | postgres              | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 |
en_US.UTF-8 | postgres=CTc/postgres+
    | =c/postgres

Why are not the collating sequence and Ctype set to UTF-8?  How do I get the
locale specified completely?

   Unencrypted messages have no legal claim to privacy

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Canada  L8E 3C3