Re: pg_stat_activity's client_addr column contains "::1" but actually comes from elsewhere?

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 4:08 PM Edward J. Sabol <edwardjsabol@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello! I'm trying to track down where some connections are coming from. "select pid,client_addr,client_hostname from pg_stat_activity" shows multiple entries with values with client_addr = "::1". "client_hostname" is blank for all entries, by the way, and unhelpful in this scenario. Also, "state" is "idle" for these entries I'm interested in, in case that matters.

::1 would imply the IPv6 loopback address, so that means the connection is coming from a process on the server, right? But I'm positive there is no process on this server that is connecting to PostgreSQL (other than my psql session).

It could be connected through an SSH tunnel, that will look like it is coming in over the loopback device.

Cheers,

Jeff