Re: create batch script to import into postgres tables

On 6/18/20 12:54 PM, Pepe TD Vo wrote:
psql -d production  -U postgres -c 'select count(*) from cell_per';
Null display is "NULL".
   count
-------
     68
(1 row)

you can do this once you are in psql. But if you are running from shell script, it will be an error

 >>What error messages do you get?

my shell script is:
@echo off
C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\11\bin\psql -U PSmasteruser  -d PSCIDR -h hostname.amazonaws.com -p 5432 -c "select count(*) from tableA;"
pause

the error I have is 'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I even surround the path in quotes because of space.
@echo off
cmd /c ""C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\11\bin\psql" -U PSmasteruser -d PSCIDR -h hostname.amazonaws.com -p 5432 -c "select count(*) from tableA;"
pause

Not sure how quoting works in Windows shell scripts, but pretty sure the above has unbalanced quotes.

error is: 'C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\11\bin\psql: illegal option -- u

when I put -P Password123 (or fully qualified password=Password123)

I would recommend spending some time here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/app-psql.html

to see what the options are. Hint: -P is not the option for password.

it gives me another error "pset: unknow option: Password123
psql: could not set printing parameter "Password123"

It is the option for pset as the error message says.

I can connect from psql shell fine when it prompt hostname, username (but connect to postgres not to PSmasteruser, PSmasteruser username set up for aws maintenance postgres database, someone did, not me and the password is same on both).  Once I'm in psql and I can change to PSCIDR instance fine and run select count(*) from tableA;

**
*Bach-Nga

--
Adrian Klaver