Re: benchmarking proposed config

Hi Scott,

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 09:12:09 -0700
Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Does anyone have suggestions for a utility that would easily let us
> mirror all queries to a "shadow" PG cluster, so that we can compare
> performance of our current production config against a new proposed
> config with our actual production traffic?

I am not sure if this would be an acceptable solution for you but there
is an open source utility called pgreplay[1]. Here is the description:

> pgreplay reads a PostgreSQL log file (*not* a WAL file), extracts the
> SQL statements and executes them in the same order and relative time
> against a PostgreSQL database cluster.

This of course means that you'd need to have a fairly "chatty" log
configuration, but maybe it could work for your needs?

Cheers,
jwo

[1]: https://github.com/laurenz/pgreplay