Moving from PG 9-era table inheritance to PG 12 range partioning

I was thinking of moving a set of partitioned tables using inheritance (done in PG 96.) to the new(ish) range partitioning available in 10/11/12...

My plan was to make another schema and create the new range-partitioned tables, then copy the data into them, then drop the older tables and re-set the schema for the new partitioned tables to the old schema, essentially meaning the new partitioned tables will take the place of the older tables when I am ready. Same exact structure, just different under the hood.

Any issues with this plan? Will changing the schema of the new partitioned table break anything?