Re: Pg_upgrade error could not load library from 7.14/8.4 to 10.10 version

On 19/9/19 4:57 μ.μ., Tom Lane wrote:
Ekaterina Amez <ekaterina.amez@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
El 19/9/19 a las 10:07, Achilleas Mantzios escribió:
On 19/9/19 10:49 π.μ., Ekaterina Amez wrote:
2019-09-19 08:53:50.345 CEST [2283] postgres@template1 ERROR:  could not load library "/usr/lib/postgresql/8.4/lib/plpgsql.so": /usr/lib/postgresql/8.4/lib/plpgsql.so: undefined symbol: SPI_push
This error is clearly due to trying to load the 8.4 version of plpgsql.so
into the v10 server.

Yup, in the log, right after the "undefined symbol: SPI_push" ERROR there are entries about logical replication, those could not have come from the 8.4 server. Arghhh I didn't watch close enough. Thanx

With these results, finally I've:
      1- modified template1 in PG 8.4 server to include plpgsql language,
so it can be inherited in new databases created from this template.
      2- Dropped and recreated my database (let's call it newdb).
This probably fixed it by ensuring that the plpgsql support functions
were declared with the standard value of probin.

The conclusion is that I can avoid the use of plpgsql.so library. My
question now would be related about the creation of the language in
version 8.4: is it better to create it at template level or at database
level?
I would not sweat too much about this, since you don't intend to keep
using 8.4 (or at least I hope not).  Since 9.0, plpgsql is automatically
installed at initdb time and there's no need for an additional copy.

			regards, tom lane

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead