Re: Backup From HotStandby

@Rui DeSousa

Tks again, i will try this aproach or alter the script to do with the pg_basebackup.

Tks a lot guys.

Licio Matos

Em qua, 28 de ago de 2019 às 17:38, Rui DeSousa <rui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> escreveu:

On Aug 28, 2019, at 4:11 PM, Licio Matos <licio.matos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

@Rui DeSousa

I am running this on the primary, the question is if i can run this same script on the replica.

You can based on what you told me about the snapshot; however, the pg_start_backup() command will fail.

Note: What you are doing today most would consider it a “proper” online backup; when you start running the script on the replica then you will end up with a “crashed” backup.   The “crashed” backup only works as you can guarantee a point in time atomic view of all the data files using a single atomic snapshot.

You need to remove the pg_start_backup() and pg_stop_backup() commands from the script.   The backup should occur faster as it is no longer waiting on pg_start_backup() to issue checkpoint; however, that also means that recovery times increase for the same reason.