Postgres Stream Replication Failover Questions

Dear All ,
as I try to configure Postgres Stream Replication Failover strategy some questions pop-up so can you please help on answering these concerns
1. What happens to the master server when I kill the slave server?
2. Is replication going to affect insert speed on the master server?
3. What happens when I kill master and slave is running? is there an automatic way to check and auto promote ?
4. If I started inserting into slave (which will become master) server until old master is back, do I have to reverse the configuration?

thanks all