Re: Database migration across different operating systems

On 8/1/19 11:01 π.μ., Stéphane KANSCHINE wrote:
Hey !

Le lun.  7 janv., vers 22:51, Natalie Wenz exprimait :
We are in an unusual circumstance, where we need to move all of our
Postgres 10 databases from their homes on servers running FreeBSD 11
with ZFS to servers in another data center running Red Hat Linux 7.6
(also with ZFS), with minimal downtime.

I understand that the recommended, safest, approach would be to
dump/restore. We intend to do that wherever possible.
It's not anymore since PostgreSQL have logical replication. You can
initialize you FreeBSD cluster with a pg_basebackup and you follow
updates with logical streaming.

Hmm, maybe you mean pg_dump --schema-only? I cannot see how taking physical copy with pg_basebackup will help with logical replication. Logical replication has its own initial snapshot phase. Doing a pg_basebackup would work if followed by truncating all tables, but that's duplicate work and equivalent to pg_dumpall --schema-only | psql -f -

However, we have some databases that require high
availability/minimal downtime that are also very large. (50 TB, for
example)
With logical replication, is it's permanently up to date in
miliseconds, you can switch when you want.

If it helps: The cpu architecture is the same on both hosts, and
we’ll be running Postgres with the same version and same build
options.
Your OS or cpu architecture doesn't matter, really :-)

Regards,

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead