Re: Backup solution over unreliable network

On 11/30/18 10:29 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
* Achilleas Mantzios (achill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
On 30/11/18 2:06 μ.μ., Stephen Frost wrote:
- I have only read the best reviews about PgBackRest, can PgBackRest address those issues?
Glad to hear you've read good reviews about pgbackrest.  As for

<...>

We've also considered supporting archive-mode=always and being able to
have the standby also push WAL and while we may support that in the
future, I'd say it's farther down on the list than multi-repo support.
As I recall, David Steele also had some specific technical concerns
around how to handle two systems pushing into the same WAL archive.
Having archive-mode=always be allowed if it's going to an independent
repo is an interesting thought though and might be simpler to do.

The issue here is ensuring that only one system is writing to the repository at a time. This is easy enough if there is a dedicated repo-host but is much harder if the repo is on something like S3 or NFS.

Using independent repos might work, but we'd need a way to ensure the configuration doesn't get broken.

Regards,
--
-David
david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx