Re: pg_ctl pointing postgres 9.5.4 after installation of postgres 10

What I suspect has happened is that:

- you have 10.4 installed

- you have 9.5 *client only* (as a result of upgrade or manual removal of the server package)

Examine /usr/lib/postgresql/, you will probably see a 9.5 and 10 directory (but the 9.5 one probably won't have a postgres binary).

If you set PATH to have /usr/lib/postgresql/10/bin in front of everything else then you will get you 10.4 binaries. However this is a bit of a pain - I think you can make life simpler by using 'update-alternatives' to make postgres version 10 the default instead of 9.5 - or remove all the 9.5 packages (*but* if removing be careful that you really don't have any 9.5 databases under /var/lib/postgresql/9.5 first...otherwise you will be reaching for your backups - at this point I should ask you do have backups right)?

So perhaps do a bit more investigation, and report back here before removing anything :-)

regards

Mark