From: Robert Burgholzer [mailto:rburghol@xxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2016 9:39 AM
To: Murthy Nunna <mnunna@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: pgsql-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ADMIN] Postgres v9.5.3 and v9.5.4 Unix Socket Issue

psql (client rpm in 9.5) is not consistent with build default of 9.5 server rpm. Is that a possibility????

I suppose - but to verify it looks like your connection syntax is not really compatible with the socket style, docs say you should pass socket path with to the -h or --host - maybe pass your socket in as:

hostname
--host=hostname

Specifies the host name of the machine on which the server is running. If the value begins with a slash, it is used as the directory for the Unix-domain socket.

Robert W. Burgholzer
 'Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.'  - Charles Mingus