Re: 9.5 new setting "cluster name" and logging

On 02/19/2016 08:10 AM, Fujii Masao wrote:
On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 12:52 AM, Evan Rempel <erempel@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 02/19/2016 05:56 AM, Fujii Masao wrote:
On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 7:05 AM, Evan Rempel <erempel@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 02/18/2016 01:53 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Bruce Momjian <bruce@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 10:19:45PM -0800, Evan Rempel wrote:
Now that there is a setting to give a cluster a "name", it would be
nice to have an escape sequence in the log_line_prefix setting that
could reference the cluster_name.
Uh, wouldn't the cluster name be the same on every line?  Is that
useful?
I guess if you were running multiple clusters and having them all log
to the same syslog daemon, there might be multiple clusters' output
in the same log ... but we already have ways to disambiguate that case,
ie, syslog_ident.  Likewise for Windows' event log.  I don't think we
should consider it supported for multiple clusters to be logging into
the same plain files.  So yeah, the use case for this seems unclear.

                          regards, tom lane

The use case is for logging to syslog.

Using the syslog_ident effectively changes the "program name" to
something
other than postgres. This would break any type of SIEM system that would
be
looking for events from the program postgres. This means that if you want
have a cluster specific contextual identifier, it needs to be in the log
message content, which for the purposes of postgresql means placing it
into
the log_line_prefix.

It could be hard coded as part of the log_line_prefix such as

log_line_prefix = 'cluster-db1:%d:%u:%h '

That would work, but that means that my cluster name needs to be in the
configuration file twice and that opens up the error scenario of not
making
them exactly the same.

Allowing for the cluster_name to be referenced by an escape sequence
would
make manual and automated configuration management easier.
What if log_destination is set to csvlog? The same cluster_name is
output in every lines, and there is no way to disable it because
something like csv_line_prefix has not been supported yet?

Regards,

I would think that in the case of using a csvlog that you would configure
the log_line_prefix to not include the escape sequence of the cluster_name.
The administrator would tune all of the logging components to work together,
or am I missing something here?
log_line_prefix is only for stderr and syslog, not for csvlog.
It cannot control what to output in csvlog, for now.

Regards,

In that case, my request for a new escape sequence for the log_line_prefix will have no impact on csvlog output because it would
only affect uses cases where log_line_prefix is used AND where the administrator has added the cluster name into the log_line_prefix.

--
Evan