Resync postgres database after master slave replication

Hello,

I have setup postgres 8.4 master-slave replication. What we want to do is

at some point, make both master slave independent and allow writes to both
for a day, and then somehow sync them again to continue master-slave. Is
this possible?
What I understood about master-slave is that the both databases must be in
sync only then master-slave can  work. That's why I am thinking I have to
somehow merge both databases.
What manual (or automated) steps can be taken to get both databases merged
so that master-slave can resume? Will there be any wrt application (liferay
6)?

Appreciate any help.