Re: Weird spikes in delay for async streaming replication on 9.1

On 2/26/2015 10:44 AM, David F. Skoll wrote:
On Thu, 26 Feb 2015 10:40:31 -0500
John Scalia <jayknowsunix@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Apologies, David, but as I don't check this list very often, I
thought you should have received an answer. Have you tried watching
the transaction with tcpdump or wireshark?
Yes.  Haven't observed anything unusual.

To me this sounds like either a network problem or like you're
thinking a contention problem.
It is not a network problem; we monitor the link between sites.  And it
happens absolutely regularly, like clockwork, when we run our nightly
pg_dump on the master.

Also, are you running streaming replication? If so, there
shouldn't be ANY delay as the standby gets the commit before the
primary. Otherwise, how are you replicating? -- Jay
We are running asynchronous streaming replication.

OK, if it's asynchronous, is your script checking that primary isn't holding up closing out and transmitting the latest WAL segment during these times? And if the Standby really needs to be up to date, why not try synchronous replication?