Re: cannot drop an extension

On 1/20/2015 1:55 PM, Glyn Astill wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: Glyn Astill <glynastill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: John Scalia <jayknowsunix@xxxxxxxxx>; "pgsql-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pgsql-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, 20 January 2015, 18:42
Subject: Re:  cannot drop an extension

----- Original Message -----
  From: John Scalia <jayknowsunix@xxxxxxxxx>
  To: "pgsql-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<pgsql-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Sent: Tuesday, 20 January 2015, 18:12
  Subject:  cannot drop an extension

  Hi all,

  My pg_upgrade woes continue... The primary server, V9.3.3, was originally
used
  as a testbed for pgpool-II, although we ended up chosing pacemaker and
corosync
  instead. When pgpool
  was installed, the instructions have you add a pgpool-regclass extension.
  Naturally, trying to upgrade to V9.4.0 fails and pg_upgrade writes a
  loadable_libraries.txt saying that
  $libdir/pgpool-regclass cannot be found. So, I restarted the original
database,
  and connected to both my csg_db instance and to the template1 instance,
then
  tried issuing a "drop
  extension pgpool-reglass", but the both the db's say it does not
exist.
  I also tried dropping it by enclosing the extension name in quotes, both
single
  and double with no joy.
  Then, I tried looking in pg_extensions, but I didn't see any similar
entry
  there either. How can I get rid of this extension so that pg_upgrade will
  complete successfully? I've
  asked on the pgpool admin list, but as it's the middle of the night in
  Japan, I'm not expecting an immediate answer, if any.

Sounds like you need to remove the pgpool-regclass entry from the
shared_preload_libraries entry in your postgresql.conf

Actually after looking at the pgpool website, it looks like this isn't a shared preload library, but just a function.

Is it possible you installed the extension via the sql script rather than using create extension?  IF so you just need to drop the relevent objects; take a look in the contrib directory.

Will try that, as soon my daily standup (agile) call is done today.