Re: Huge pages not working on PG 9.4

On 1/16/2015 10:52 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Michael Heaney <mheaney@xxxxxxxx> writes:
On 1/16/2015 6:58 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
A quick look at the PG source code says that that message means that
MAP_HUGETLB isn't defined.  Our code is expecting <sys/mman.h> to provide
that symbol, which it should do by default according to what I can see on
my RHEL 6.6 box.  Perhaps you've defined some of the feature restriction
macros like _POSIX_SOURCE?
Thanks for the helpful clue, Tom.  I haven't knowingly defined
_POSIX_SOURCE or any other macros. I go through the same configure/make
process on the Centos 6.6 VM on my home PC, and huge pages works just
fine.  Maybe it's an issue with CentOS  6.4?
Dunno, hard to believe that hugetlb support wasn't there in 6.4.  A quick
troll through the RHEL 6.5 and 6.6 release notes finds something about
better hugetlb support for System Z processors, but what we're discussing
here shouldn't be architecture-specific.

You might try comparing /usr/include/sys/mman.h, /usr/include/bits/mman.h,
and /usr/include/features.h between your 6.4 and 6.6 systems to see if
you can spot any relevant differences.

			regards, tom lane

Nice catch!  The following line was missing from /usr/include/bits/mman.h
on CentOS 6.4:

# define MAP_HUGETLB    0x40000         /* Create huge page mapping.  */

I added it to a test 6.4 box, and the rebuilt Postgres was then able to use huge pages.

I'm leery about adding this to all the 6.4 boxes, though, without some reassurance that it won't break something. I'll bring it up with my Linux SA's next week. Thanks again for your help!

--
Michael Heaney
JCVI