Re: Possible request for new feature

"Campbell, Lance" <lance@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I develop web application for the University of Illinois.  We use PostgreSQL on the backend to provide our web application with data for around 3 million pages of dynamic web content per month.  A nice feature would be the ability to do something just like EXPLAIN ANALYZE on queries with the slight difference of actually returning the results from the query and appending the QUERY PLAN to the end of the query.

Such a behavior would break just about every client application.  Have you
looked into using the auto_explain module, which instead logs query plans
to the postmaster log?  That's a far less invasive way of collecting plans
for queries of live applications.  pg_stat_statements would be worth a
look too.

			regards, tom lane