Re: Backup error

On Oct 3, 2014, at 8:55 AM, Albe Laurenz <laurenz.albe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You have to wait until scp is finished before running pg_stop_backup.

If, for performance reasons, you want to overlap backup & copy:

1) use rsync during the backup (repeat if it finishes before the backup)
2) after the backup has finished, but before running pg_stop_backup, run rsync again
3) pg_stop_backup

There is a worry about a potential issue with granularity of timestamp on an open file finished rsyncing a split second before finished writing by backup process, there's the -c option for the final rsync pass. But then it's up to you to figure out whether it's actually worth having that extra read of every byte of every file in order to get the head start. Depends on your server I/O load, and relative speed of backup vs copy, and what your actual goal is.

Personally, I do this not for recovery, but for snagging copies for testing, and in that case I don't worry about the -c option.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx