Wal archive way behind in streaming replication

Came in this morning to numerous complaints from pgpool about the standby servers being behind from the primary. Looking into it, no WAL files had been transferred since late Friday. All I did was restart the primary and the WAL archving resumed, however, looking at the WAL files on the standby servers, this is never going to catch up. Now, I've got the archive_timeout on the primary = 600 or 10 minutes and I see WAL files in pg_xlog every 10 minutes. As they show up on the standby servers, they're also 10 minutes apart, but the primary is writing *21 and the standby's are only up to *10. Now, like I said prior, with there being 10 minutes (600 seconds) between transfers (the same pace as the WALs are generated) it will never catch up. Is this really the intended behavior? How would I get the additional WAL files over to the standbys without waiting 10 minutes to copy them one at a time?
--
Jay