Re: Regarding server sizing for postgres database

On 05/16/2014 10:20 PM, Ramkumar Raghavan wrote:
Hi,

I need to decide the server hardware configuration for the postgres database.

I have the following information for sizing:

concurrent users: 100

Total data traferred throughout a day to the database: 10GB

Total database storage size required: 3TB

I am planning to virtualize it using vmware ESXi.

Please let me know if 10 core, 64bit Intel CPU, 24GB RAM sufficient for the above requirements.

Who knows?

100 mostly idle users doing small optimized selects is a far cry from 80 users with rapid response requirements doing a constant heavy stream of inserts and updates to tables with multiple indexes and foreign-key constraints while the other 20 are doing large reporting and analytics queries. Both use-cases match the above description.

To get a useful answer you will need to provide lots more detail about the nature of the workload and expected responsiveness.

Cheers,
Steve