table locking on creating FK

Hi everyone,

Why does a table lock up if I want to create a FK to it? e.g. I have a separate schema for my own mods to the database but if I want to reference anything in the public schema on a customer table, that table will be locked up.

Why does a table lockup when disabling a trigger on it?

I just tried this on a live database, and ended up restarting the postgres service because the whole table was locked and no users were able to do anything.

I guess I'm dumb (or stupid) to try it in production, but I wanted to create an index on an audit table, so I knew enough that I would have to disable the audit trigger before I could create an index on a 1.8 million row table. Then the main gltx table locked up on disabling the trigger. I found the pid of the process by doing this:

select * from pg_stat_activity where query ilike '%trigger%';

Then tried to cancel the query using this:

select pg_cancel_backend(17069);

But that did not happen within 1 min, and with 90 sales people all waiting on this server, I did a kill -9 on that pid to get everyone back as soon as possible. This caused a bunch of "terminating connection because of crash of another server process" errors in pg_log, but I don't see anything serious after that.

Is there any way to recover from a locked situation like this?

Thanks,

Mark