Re: getting a error message when creating temporary table

Evan Walter <ewalter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>  Not sure what is causing this.  When we execute:
> CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE test(test_code varchar (255))

> We get

> ERROR: could not read block 6 in file "global/... "  read only 0 of 8192
> bytes

What's the exact filename you omitted there, and which PG version is this?

I'm guessing this indicates corruption of pg_shdepend or one of its
indexes, as that seems like the only shared catalog that's really likely
to get touched during a CREATE TEMP TABLE.  If you're lucky, it's one of
the indexes, and a REINDEX will fix it.

Have you had any OS-level crashes lately, power failures, etc?  Whatever
is corrupted exactly, this shouldn't have happened if filesystem integrity
was being maintained properly.

			regards, tom lane