Re: Can't upgrade a DB from 8.4 to 9.3 with pg_uprade: pg 9 not started

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 3:15 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:\

Hi Bruce,
thanks for your time.

> This is using /tmp because the old server is pre-9.1;  it would normally
> use the current directory for the socket file.  Are you perhaps using a
> non-standard setting?  Our docs say:
>
>    If using a pre-9.1 old server that is using a non-default Unix-domain
>    socket directory or a default that differs from the default of the
>    new cluster, set <envar>PGHOST</> to point to the old server's socket
>    location.  (This is not relevant on Windows.)

Right, but It's broken also if I set unix_socket_directory to /tmp.

> Does that help?  Did you use a different environment for the check and
> non-check phases?

I found a fiable solution: remove the -w option on the pg_ctl' wrapper
(and added sleep 5 for waiting the launch) when pg_upgrade want to
start PG. Tested on several db w/o issues. This option is broken on PG
<9 (several workaround exist in the code of pg_upgrade for it).

--
Sebastien Douche <sdouche@xxxxxxxxx>
Twitter: @sdouche / G+: +sdouche