Re: Postgresql 8.4 GSSAPI auth with fallback to password prompting?

On 25/03/13 14:31, Tom Lane wrote:
Stephen Frost <sfrost@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
* Tim Watts (tim.j.watts@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
I would have to respectfully take another point of view: that that
particular judgement is probably better placed with the sysadmin
rather than a blanket decision by the devs.

It's not a blanket decision by any means- the current situation is that
such an option doesn't exist.  It's not "it exists, but we disabled it
because we felt like it."

Were someone to write the code to support such an option, it's entirely
possible it'd get committed (though likely with strong caveats about its
use in the documentation).

I'm not sure it would.  Allowing a fallback would amount to a protocol
change, meaning that old clients might fail in strange ways.  You'd
need a lot stronger case than has been made here to justify dealing
with that.

Just had a look at a non SSL psql connection with wireshark:

The username is offered. Then the server comes back with:

"Type: Authentication request"
"Authentication type: Plaintext password (3)"

So clearly it's not as simple as the client offering what it feels like.
And whilst I assume it might be possible for the server to have a new code for

"Authentication type: GSSAPI with Password-Interactive-Fallback"

that's not going to be implicitly backwardly compatible.

Tricky I agree...

I presume the protocol does not allow the server to send a succession of
"Type: Authentication request" packets with different Authentication types until it deems that one is acceptable?

BTW - I am not seriously proposing this - just for a bit of idea banter and better understanding by me. If you've all got better things to do, ignore me :-o

Cheers,

Tim

--
Tim Watts                               Tel (VOIP): +44 (0)1580 848360
Systems Manager              Digital Humanities, King's College London

Systems Messages and Notifications: https://systemsblog.cch.kcl.ac.uk/
Personal Blog:                         http://squiddy.blog.dionic.net/