Re: Postgres 9.1 statistics in pg_stat_database

On 02/07/2013 11:05 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
=?utf-8?q?Milos_Gajdos?= <gy2kre@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
What this shows is that xact_commit increases by 3 after just one row insert. tup_inserted does seem to report correct value. After simple SELECT, xact_commit increases by 2 - kind of strange as SELECT shouldn't really be increasing xact_commit ?
Yes, a SELECT does count as an xact_commit...

Additionally (correct me if I'm wrong, Tom), background activity like autovacuum will generate countable transactions. I can see transactions increment by a dozen or more on a completely "idle" database if I just wait a minute or two but the number of those transactions, while visible on an idle system, is lost in the noise on a busy database.

Other things that generate transactions include connecting to the database (one, it appears) but \d in psql appears to generate a minimum of four.

Cheers,
Steve