Re: PGSQL-IDLE connection problem

Sathish Reddy Yelala wrote:
>     Thanks for the response.Here I have few more queries regarding Connections.
>
>  1.When the connection goes to <IDLE> state

When the server has completed a request and waits for
the next one.

>  2. when the <IDLE> connection becomes active

When the server receives the next request from the client.

>  3.Is there any chance to database get slow because of <IDLE> connections

It's unlikely, but not impossible, if the idle connections
hog enough system resources to affect the server.
Also a very large value for max_connections might affect
performance of some internal data structures
(see http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Number_Of_Database_Connections).

However, idle connections are not the first place where I would
look for the cause of a performance problem.
Connections "idle in transaction" are more likely to cause trouble.

How big is max_connections?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe