Re: restoring from a dump

On 1/5/13 1:54 PM, J Rouse wrote:
Stupid person here. Just got PostgresSQL today. Have text dump file. Need to restore.

I think I need to use psql, but do not even know how to get to it. Need exact instructions on where to enter the command line, setting up paths if necessary, etc.

Jim

to restore from a text (sql) file:

1) ensure you have a target database:
- you might need to set your path, i.e. you need to know where psql is
- if you did an rpm / package install it's probably in /usr/bin

# connect to the cluster (database instance):
$ psql

# then create your target database:
postgres# create database my_target_db;

Then exit from psql (exit; or ctl-d)
postgres# exit;

2) import the sql text file

- cd to the directory where the text file is:
$ cd /home/postgres/Downloads

- Import the file
$ psql  -ef   ./import_file.sql   my_target_db

You could also point to the sql file without being in the directory:
$ psql  -ef   /home/postgres/Downloads/import_file.sql my_target_db

Note the -f is the psql flag to import (or run) a specified sql file from the command line, the -e flag says to push all SQL statements as well as normal output to STDOUT

See the psql command docs for more info here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/app-psql.html

Hope this helps,

/Kevin