Multiple LDAP servers -- no failover?

I have two LDAP servers listed in my pg_hba.conf:

local   all         all                               trust
host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          trust
host    all     all     192.168.1.0/24         ldap
ldapserver="backup.example.com primary.example.com"
ldapsuffix="@example.com"
It authenticates fine to backup; if I change the pg_hba.conf to
primary.example.com it works fine as well. But with the above settings, if
I unplug the network cable to backup then instead of failing over to
primary instead it just hangs for 60s and then fails silently.

Should this setup work for failover, or is it only for situations where a
user might exist on primary.example.com but not on backup.example.com?

--
Dave Pooser
Cat-Herder-in-Chief, Pooserville.com