Re: When I executed type cast functions. The postgres normal concatenation operator query was breaking.

"Saravanakumar Ramasamy" <rsk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Now I am using postgres 9.1.3 version . Before I am used 8.2.22

> ERROR:  function to_number(unknown, numeric) does not exist

> HINT:  No function matches the given name and argument types. You
> might need to add explicit type casts.

> I found solution. That solution is 13 implicit type cast. When I
> executed type cast functions [concatenations started breaking]

> ERROR:  operator is not unique: numeric || unknown

> HINT:  Could not choose a best candidate operator. You might need
> to add explicit type casts.

This was also posted on StackOverflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12007988/when-i-executed-type-cast-functions-the-postgres-normal-concatenation-operator

The accepted solution there was basically to drop the 13 implicit
casts which were added in an attempt to maintain pre-8.3 behavior,
and to change code which counted on the implicit casts which were
eliminated in 8.3.

-Kevin