Re: database not found

On 2012-08-13 16:18, Richard Harper wrote:
All of the databases appear to be where they should be. As an experiment, I tried tcp/ip to the 'posgres' database. That worked. Thanks to Ray, I worked that out. Per the suggestion I tried: psql -h 127.0.0.1 -d d3_jchem. It connected after requesting a password (SSL). I still cannot connect to d3_jchem. Also, an additional role I created (su) was not found. Could it be a file protection setting. I notice that I cannot even ls the ..../base directory without being superuser. That does not seem right. Thanks for your patience and suggestions.
It is not a file protection setting. The postgresql server owns all the database files, and you can only access those files through the service. Your problem is that you have multiple postgresql server instances running. Either on the same machine, or on different machines.

Try to login with the postgresql superuser (pgsql or postgres). Then do these:

select inet_server_addr()
select version()

Do this from both programs (psql and the other program) and compare the results. Probably you will find out that you are connecting to two different database instances.

Can you please tell us more about the other (non-psql) program? What is that program? On what system have you installed that application? There are some programs that run their own embedded postgresql server. It is possible that you are running a program that uses an embedded PostgreSQL server.

Best,

   Laszlo